Thursday, January 8, 2009

Potty Training 101--Take 2

Back in June I created a post about potty training Tessa. Lets just say that it did not go well at all and we quit after two weeks. Now, seven months later, we are at it again and she is doing so much better! We started on Monday and she is slowly, very slowly, getting the hang of things. I have received so much advice on this subject. I have tried alot of different tactics but I learned that I have to just try them all and see what works best for Tessa. Here is the game plan: panties or bare bottom during the day while we are at home. Pull ups at night, at day school, and if we go anywhere. My pediatrician suggested bare bottom because she was still pottying in her panties. So now if she pee pees in her potty she gets to go pick out a pair of panties to wear until the next potty time. If she wets in her panties it is back to bare bottom. We set a timer to go off every 45 minutes to sit on the potty. If she has to go before then I encourage her to tell me or to just go to her potty herself. Today she sat on her potty and went poo poo! Then a hour later she sat down again and went pee pee! This is after me dragging her to the potty to sit on it and her crying and screaming at me because she is mad. When she finally goes she is so happy and proud of herself! Her rewards for using the potty are M & Ms and her potty chart with stickers. A friend of mine suggested the potty sticker chart and Tessa loves it! Each time she uses the potty she gets to put a sticker on her chart. She loves stickers so this is great for her. We are still learning and trying to get it right but I am so proud of my big girl! Here are some pics below and yes...once again...I know she will kill me for these later!

The tools: Potty chair that sings music when she uses it, Potty Sticker Chart, M & Ms, Potty Book


Potty Sticker Chart




Tessa in her Elmo undies!

4 comments:

The Cherry Tree 123 said...

Amanda, such good advice. I have started with Hudson, but not that consistant. He refuses to poo poo in the potty!! Love your ideas, i may try it!

Heather said...

That is halarious! I could not stop laughing after reading this. It's just precious. You have to make me a potty chart like that when it's time for Isabella. So cute!

Anna Phillips said...

You're doing great, Amanda. I won't even be thinking about potty training Sadie until at LEAST this summer, but probably later. I'm not going to rush anything. I've heard that's the worst mistake, so I'm going to let her let me know when she's ready, ya know? Keep up the good work!!!

Gigi 2008 said...

Hey I gave her $1 bills!!!! The kid is gonna be a huge financial success!!